Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Is Google Making us Stupid

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2008/07/is-google-making-us-stupid/306868/
 This article first talks about how the author is realizing that they now have a hard time reading and focus on anything that is long. It's like our brains only want to skim through the texts and not actually interpret the information fully. I also realized I do the same thing, I find my self struggling to complete my class assignments just cause I cannot focus and get distracted. The author also mentions in this article how google could be helping us too. It's a quick and easy way to get information fast, which helps us alot in many situations. But it could also be harming us because we are getting information that easily and just skimming through to find the answer, and not actually reading all the information or fully understanding what we are talking about. Another interesting thing stated was that our brains aren't actually wired to be reading all this information. People used to do things orally (by physically speaking) and not writing. I know this is especially true for my language (Seneca), everything was done orally and we didn't have anything written down until recently. From reading this article, I've learned any reasons on why Google is/isn't making us stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment